Thursday 12 July 2007

Mid Build Review

13/2/07
What I didn't realise was just how cumbersome building a 1.5 minute take had become, with any change in the timeline taking 20 seconds. Painful, unworkable and leading to instability. So I had a chat with Parms and realised that we are going to use multiple avi's anyway so I should restrict an avi to a particular scene/location. This enable me to use camera cuts in Antics to stage the scene but then allow the different scenes to be cut together in the editing stage.

Other realisations and learning points:
I can output multiple avi's from 1 set by creating different takes. This is fine but camera moves in one take still affect another. Therefore, I need to create starting camera "poses" and snap to at the start of a take (along with all props and people). This means any later moves can be catered for.

The above means I don't have to have so many cameras! This is an alternative way to posing.

It's probably beneficial to keep each location as a separate scene. Copy over elements if necessary. This means moving different cameras and people will not effect each different set. This could facilitate having duplicates of one location so that I can overlap action
Eg Miles runs in to pick up a hammer. I can cut early from this avi (in editing) to him running out with the hammer in the second location.

I need to pay attention to my shotlist! Obviously the hammering is action lead and will benefit from multiple shots of hammering and clever hiding to make it look realistic (as a hammer on fingers close-up looks tricky). These multiple shots may result in having multiple avi's and cut the action together in editing.

Also, the shotlist shows which scenes are short and which are going to be large in terms of cuts, etc. Ignore at my peril.

No comments: